Monday, September 17, 2007

Floating squeegee

Today at work I was standing next to my third-floor window, talking to my cube-neighbor when there was a sudden thump on the glass. A window sponge had been lifted up on a 3-story long handle and was scrubbing away the grime. It was then followed by a similarly long-handled squeegee that scraped away all the suds. We were surprised because they've always sent up a guy on a ladder, so we were used to seeing a person attached to the sponge /squeegee combo. This morning the cleaning equipment seemed disembodied, almost as if they were wiping the windows on their own. Like they were right out of the animated furniture-servants in Disney's Beauty and the Beast. Very odd.

I realized after this weekend's thirty-something degree weather that neither my gloves nor my mittens will last through the winter, so I'm knitting a new pair of combo glove-mittens. They're going to be awesome. Pictures to follow. In the meanwhile, the Fall issue of Knitty is published, and I found a really cool website from one of its contributors. She makes knit toys like this, & posts free toy patterns:




4 comments:

kevin said...

You know, when I first saw this picture, I thought you had taken your unfinished mitten out into the woods to take it picture in a pose with what I can only guess are magical forest creatures. The only problem was that I could't figure out when you had the time to do all of this.

Spinning Ninny said...

i LOVE the little woodland creatures!

PS - thanks for the encouragement on Fifi. sadly, i'm so bored with her that i haven't done much more work on her...

Taryn said...

What a great find! One of these days, when I finish the dozens of projects I have that are about 1/4-1/2 done, I'm going to do something fun and cute like that....

nenny said...

Kevin, that's the only problem with that scenario??