Saturday, July 07, 2007

Exchange with Woman I

Just before we left for Texas I set my bike down on top of my inexpensive sunglasses and broke them. So after running my last few errands downtown, I decided to take a peek around for a new pair and perhaps stop for some ice cream. I went into a store called Tiger Lilly 2, where I'd never been before. I was immediately greeted by a very friendly young woman who seemed bored by her empty store. The sunglasses were right in the front, so I explained to her that I already found what I needed. She asked if she could show me the new Dolce & Gabbana's ("I make everyone try them on! Heehee!"). I tried them on to humor her, though they were roughly 3/4 the size of my face. When she told me the price - $250, I explained further that I was just hoping to replace my old four-dollar pair from Target. She said, "Well, we'll be upgrading you to a $12 pair, but I'm SOOOO good at picking out sunglasses for people", so I decided to give her a shot. I'm sure she was being honest with me, but I think her fashion sense was seriously conflicting with my sense of practicality (which generally fills the void where my fashion sense would otherwise be). It was terrible and awkward and I hated everything she made me try on. I tried to explain about the non-mirrored, oval-shaped lenses, the reasonably small size, the plain brownness of the frames. She argued with me that if sunglasses are too small, they make you look "squinty". I wondered how anyone could call me squinty if my eyes were hidden... but I just shrugged my shoulders. Finally she relented, "well, we have another store down the street that has a much bigger selection... ". The other store was to the right; my car was to the left. So I thanked her, told her I'd head over right after I got myself some ice cream, and exited to the left. I got the ice cream and I drove straight to Target, where I bought two $7 pairs of sunglasses. An upgrade, I'll admit, but I'll pay the extra money to retain my dignity and shameless practicality.

2 comments:

Taryn said...

I'm with you on the practical cost of sunglasses, Jen. I never pay more than $15 for a pair since I don't need prescription lenses and paying more than that would probably mean that I would destroy them immediately. Or leave them somewhere for someone else to enjoy.

Spinning Ninny said...

I would never spend too much money on glasses, but I did date someone who was loaded who bought me a nice pair of Oakleys. Again, I'd never by them myself, but they are good for protecting ones eyeballs from harmful crap.