Tuesday, April 10, 2007

My Experience with the Justice System

So my sitting-with-a-book jury duty quickly turned into hearing-a-murder-trial jury duty, which I found to be unpleasant, but interesting. I learned all about stuff like the physics of blood, how to interpret blood/flesh spatters, how to recognize a revolver, the difference between a semi-automatic and a fully automatic gun, and the general value of cocaine.

I found that if you stare blankly at an idle lawyer during trial, you will be rewarded with a dazzlingly charming smile. I tested it several times on all the lawyers at intervals throughout the presentation of evidence - it never failed.

I also came out with a generally favorable impression of bailiffs (sp?). Since we were there for about a week & 1/2 we decided to have a potluck luncheon to break up the restaurant food monotony. Our bailiff showed up with a homemade smoked pheasant cheese ball with a pecan crust. It was awesome and I was so impressed. On another day he just showed up with a huge fruit plate for us. It was remarkable since he tended to be gruff and grumpy, to the point where several people in the jury would laugh every time he spoke.
The deliberation part sucked. It took 17 hours and went straight through the night. I felt ill with all the coffee, soda, and chocolate I drank & ate to stay awake. We got to leave early in the morning to sleep, then had to return for more deliberation. People are damn stubborn sometimes. All in all, I hope I never get picked for a trial again... but I was really excited about going back to my regular job when it was all over.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, hurray! I'm so glad the bailiff took part in the potluck.

The cheese ball sounds delicious.

Taryn said...

I still can't believe you had to stay in that room for so long. But I love your lawyer experiment. It kind of confirms everything I've learned from television.

nenny said...

Yeah, some things were surprisingly like what I'd seen on TV. The bailiff, though neither tall nor bald, was a lot like Bull from Night Court.

Taryn said...

Night Court!

Along with The Fat Boys and WWF, Night Court was on the List of Things That Are Extremely Wicked and Bad at my non-denominational "Christian" elementary school.