Sunday, February 18, 2007

A Theory

On Friday night while I was on the phone chatting with my sister-in-law, I caught Billie trying to snack on Herman's (the Houseplant's) potting soil. On closer inspection I could see that the potting soil had turned somewhat moldy - with a bird-shitty sort of mold, and was at a much lower level in the pot from what I'd remembered it to be.

The people who used to live in our apartment had something of a greenhouse in here, though they had two cats as well who seemed ok. Kevin is convinced there is remnant pollen (and who knows what else!) circulating in our air. So now I have this theory that Billie has been eating moldy potting soil for the last seven months, which could explain her skin condition and potentially the more recent hershey squirts. Part of me hopes it is not that simple an explanation... but most of me would be very relieved if it was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you throw out the plant?

--Jessica

nenny said...

No. For now I've pruned it down, scooped out the mold & refilled the soil. Billie didn't seem interested in eating the fresh dirt.

But my mom has since told me that the mold will kill Herman by the roots unless I re-pot him, so I'm going to start soaking some clippings this week. At least Herman is cheaper to diagnose...